Friday 19 December 2008

Review of the module

photo taken from innovationfactory

So this is the last day of my Online Project. Funnily, I sit in my bed with my laptop, ill again, and edit all my posts. Jim is either e-mailing me what to do or I just read some hints for improvement of my blog on his blog. This is the studying at a university in the 21st century.

I can't say it enough: I really enjoyed this module. It was definitely the best one I have taken at this university. It was a lot of work, but it did not really feel like work. It was just so much fun. In the last two weeks I ended up posting every day. I was so busy but I made a lot of progress as well.

I have learnt so much about the internet, blogging, social networking sites and I also got to know more research tools that will probably be useful all my life.

At the beginning of this module I was most scared about the group blog. I am not good working in teams. I always say to myself: If you want something to work, do it on your own. However, I was really impressed with the result. The blog wandersee is so different from what I planned to do. It gave me more confidence and improved my English.

The group blog and feature task were the highlights of this module. Analysing a song each day was hard work but a lot of fun as well. It took me up to four hours to do my research, develop an opinion, interpret and write everything down - each day. But I didn't mind.

I really want to continue one of the two. Either I try to find some people to continue the wandersee-project or I just start a new blog and continue my feature. I won't have time to post each day, but maybe once a week is realistic.

First, I need some holidays - and another essay to write. But when I come back for the next semester, I hope I will still be motivated to continue one of the two blogs. But we all know how it is like: We all want to do so many things, but we never do it. I wanted to improve my guitar skills, learn how to play the keyboard better, I wanted to read more books, write more songs, learn French and now I want to write regularly. But I think this time, I am really going to do it.

Online Journalism as a future career? Not so sure. I have always seen myself in the print media. In online journalism you have to be so fast, edit your story every couple of minutes...I have seen so many typing mistakes in online articles, because journalists were in such a hurry. That is ridiculous.

However, Online Journalism has got a new dimension. It also gives you the opportunity to write more creative. When I think about it - that is actually how I started to consider becoming a journalist. I always loved to express myself but never thought I'd be good enough to write novels and earn a living with that. So I thought, I'd try to be a journalist. Now it is actually possible to write in a more arty way in a commercial blog. I could imagine doing that later - as a sidejob.

No comments: